Telling great stories. 502 442 7914.

Revealed: the 16 different personality types of StumbleUpon users

The 16 personality types of StumbleUpon users

Here’s a different angle of looking at social media entirely – by personality type. In case you missed it, when you are filling out your profile in StumbleUpon, you can put what personality type you are. Using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), there are 16 possibilities a person can be. There are lots of sites that have sample tests online, but here is the official foundation continuing the original work.

So, I’ve taken a sampling of top stumblers, social media mavens/addicts, and people I just plain find interesting. Here is what I found (personality type definitions credit – personalitypage.com):

The (E)xtroverts:

ENTP – The Visionaries (we’re the best, by the way :) )
nowsourcing

rustybrick

INTP – The Thinkers
bartthebear
flyingrose

INFJ – The Protectors
caile-girl (top stumbler)

If you haven’t put in your personality type in StumbleUpon yet, you’re missing out. This is an interesting item that tells more about you than that your interests include the Internet and computers :)

Comments

• INTPs rule! End of story:)

posted by 5ubliminal on October 3rd, 2007 at 5:48 pm
  • @5ubliminal: yes, thinkers are good. As long as they are listening to the visionaries. :)

posted by brian on October 3rd, 2007 at 5:51 pm
  • Curious as to where Aivsdog fits in…

posted by Dan on October 3rd, 2007 at 8:20 pm
  • So what you are saying is the extroverts pretty much rock the internet, right? :)

Honored to rep The Doers – hope I do ‘em proud.

posted by Kate on October 3rd, 2007 at 8:33 pm
  • I don’t know if I entered mine. I’m ENTP. My sister is INTJ; you don’t have any of those on the list! BTW: the entire “NT” groups are also called “the rationals”. :)

posted by Lucia on October 3rd, 2007 at 10:23 pm
  • Personality tests are interesting, not only do they happily package an entire personality into a small box but you start looking at those around you in the same box and realising how much and in some cases how little you have in common I guess oddly those categorised as ENTP might break that simple rule by their vary nature they not only wouldn’t have been in the box but have dismantled, studied re-assembled and swapped boxes.

posted by Tim Nash on October 4th, 2007 at 9:46 am
  • I’m that guy in the picture, right at the top jumping from the left hemisphere into the right, sure to avoid the chasm of the corpus callosum.

I probably left my mobile phone in a girls cubical…

posted by Wayne Smallman on October 4th, 2007 at 2:38 pm
  • More (social networking) sites should add these personality types to their profile. Imagine searching only photos on Flickr made by visionary ENTP photographers. :)

posted by cubus on October 5th, 2007 at 2:44 am
  • ENTP !!!!

posted by Christian on October 5th, 2007 at 5:22 pm
  • @dan: don’t know, maybe she’ll check back and comment on this.

@kate: naturally, extroverts rock the Internet – way to represent the Doers.

@lucia: good to see a fellow ENTP’er. Yes, I didn’t have INTJ as well as a few other less common ones on the list. Actually took some time even to compile the ones I put on the list. Good mention on the NT – rationals.

@tim: dismantled, studied, and re-assembled, indeed. It’s like an ENTP that would not think themselves to be in any category :)

@dana: thanks for the mention!

@wayne: way to make the jump!

@cubus: yes, it would be nice to see other social networking sites with personality types. Rest assured that they have personality types already, we just don’t know who is what :)

posted by brian on October 6th, 2007 at 9:29 pm
  • @christian: ENTP FTW!

posted by brian on October 7th, 2007 at 3:10 am
  • INFJ’s bottom out the list because we’re the rarest of all types. :-P~~ However, we may be introverted but I can assure you that most of us are not boring. We tend to be quirky and interesting ~ we’re just very particular about whom we allow to get close enough to us to see these things.

Interesting project you’ve started here, though. You’re definitely thinking outside the box, even though we’re characterized by the personality-type boxes we’re placed in. LOL.

I’ll check back another time to see who else has been added.

Cheers,
    caile~ :-)

posted by caile-girl on October 7th, 2007 at 8:58 am
  • caile-girl: yeah, I really don’t know what I was thinking in terms of ordering this list. :)
    It is true that there is a certain humor by thinking outside the box by putting people in boxes. People see the world through different lenses of perception, so many times throughout the day we are judging people by putting them in different boxes.

So at least StumbleUpon is doing a bit in terms of making stumblers less anonymous and more human. For those that take advantage of detailing themselves out a bit.

Thanks for stopping by!

posted by brian on October 7th, 2007 at 12:19 pm
  • I just took this test for a class, and it says I’m an ISTJ. I think the psychology guy described us as ‘navigators.’

posted by Carlo on October 8th, 2007 at 12:05 pm
  • @carlo: the site I got the definitions from also refers to ISTJ as Duty Fullfillers too.

posted by brian on October 8th, 2007 at 1:25 pm
  • Nice. I’m a INFP. Whoo. ;D

posted by Kikilo on October 8th, 2007 at 6:59 pm
  • @kikilo: nicely put, idealist! :)

posted by brian on October 8th, 2007 at 7:57 pm
  • Some of us are visionary thinkers. ;-)

posted by Rose Sylvia on October 9th, 2007 at 3:39 am
  • @rose: indeed, we are! thanks for stopping by.

posted by brian on October 9th, 2007 at 3:50 am
  • I’m currently obsessed with the MBTI personality types. I’m an INTP myself, so I suppose that makes sense.

posted by Viollette on December 7th, 2007 at 4:13 pm
  • Hey Brian, what about the ESTJ? :)

Jessicas last blog post..The Art of Living Life & Saving Money

posted by Jessica on June 6th, 2008 at 8:57 am
  • is there any ISFP’s out there?

posted by michele on July 3rd, 2011 at 11:39 am