Earlier this year, we were in a bit of a predicament: we had one broadband provider that wasn’t giving us the bandwidth we needed as a heavy design oriented company (pushing art files up and down the line is a huge Internet hog), so we looked at T1 alternatives. While a T1 might be great for office users that do light Internet tasks and you feel good about the dedicated connection, it wasn’t working for us from a bandwidth perspective.
So, we reached out to our friends at Verizon to see what we could do. And they came through in the clutch. Enter the cradlepoint broadband router.
This is quite the device, acting as a broadband cellular modem and router, capable of handling up to 5 USB, Express Card, and / or PCMIA cards. That’s a lot of bandwidth!
So in our case, we were able to work at full speed (full 4G speeds!)and didn’t need to wait for a T1 install! The only drawback is that since you’re paying for cell data based Internet, make sure you’ve got a handle on how much bandwith you’re using.
All in all, a great experience and highly recommended, especially for on the road and more inventive office spaces such as pop up offices and co-working.
For the bulleted list inclined, here’s a list of benefits:
- Quick & Easy to deploy (no waiting for the T1 to be provisioned and installed)
- Mobile – You can deploy where you need (no waiting for the room or location to have Ethernet cabling installed)
- Over 250 Million people covered, 440+ markets commercially launch since Dec 2010, & more coming
- Coverage – http://news.verizonwireless.com/LTE/Markets.html
- Coverage (more than all competitors combined) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qqQ-EQ3vk
- Reliable – You don’t have to worry about the last mile be cut by mother nature or manmade events
- Competitive – Appropriate plans available to accommodate small or high consumption users (note: you can call your current landline provider to get your average data shared/consumed)
- Speed – Using Verizon Wireless 4th generation data network is 10x faster than earlier 3rd generation network & lower latency